Blogger Backgrounds

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Word of Caution....

So, I Often leave online reviews for places of business I visit. Some good, some bad. Well, I left one last year for a company that I took my broken laptop to. He diagnosed the wrong problem then charged me for his mistake and took a whopping $28 off the bill. That's it. Said he was 99% sure the problem he fixed would take care of it, but it didn't at all. All he said was that I was the 1%. So...because of the horrible customer service I experienced, I left a 1-star review that said it wasn't a good or honest business to work with because he fixed the wrong part and charged me for it. All true. Well the owner literally hired an INVESTIGATOR to track me down and wrote a letter to my new home address asking me to contact him. Included copies of my invoice and bill even though i had zero problem with the pricing. So I emailed him reiterating my beef with his company, then told him it was upsetting and off-putting that he tracked me down. Well, then he emailed a little bit later referencing where I grew up, where I went to college, and made it known he knew where I lived through an investigator because he's going to file a defamation charge against me. He then copied and pasted some arbitrary definitions of "slander" from a website saying I fit all the criteria. LOL! If he had an attorney, he needs to get a new one...preferably one who understands the difference between "libel" and "slander." Anyway, obviously he creeped me out. He was very insulting and rude and clearly didn't know what he was talking about. He prob got on ehow and looked for "How to sue someone for defamation" without actually knowing that no matter how rude a review is, if there's any truth to it he can't win. lol. But anyway, I talked to several defamation lawyers in Utah, showed them the email threads and documents and review, and they said not only was I completely within my legal rights and nothing I said was libelous, but I had a strong harassment case against him. I also talked to the police, who told me to file a police report if he said anything to me again. I'm temped to just leave the review up and tell him good luck, since he won't win, but it's not worth my time and I could care less. Also who knows what length he'll go to.

Moral of the story? Be careful what online reviews you leave, because there are psychopaths out there who will track you down!

2 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

jill
that is CRAZY! wow.
i haven't checked your blog in awhile and had no idea you've been updating!! yeah! love your pictures and posts

Jill said...

HI WENDY!!!! I have just barely started :-) I stalk yours regularly, lol.